Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Strategy Guide Pros and Cons

I broke down and bought the strat guide today. Here are the pros and cons from my perspective:
Pros:
  • Gives you what training options are each camp.
Shows max attributes for each weight and fight style
  • Breaks down each in-game fighter and it is an interesting read on strengths and weaknesses for each
Goes over major and minor benefits of each training exercise
  • Describes each training exercise and gives an idea of whether or not the glass/strength of expertise can complete them
Illustrates the entire belt ranking system
cons:
[list][li]This is the only one but also a frustrating one for me. It doesn't show the actual control combo needed for the controller. It would be nice to be able to glance them over.
Overall it has been a good read and has explained some things to me especially in choke submission training.
Hope this helps!
|||I've owned the strat guide since like day 2. There is one more con I need to point out, because it bit me in the *. :)
The guide stats in no uncertain terms that Grapple Defense is the attribute used when fighting against a submission. I stated this in discussion here, and a few minutes later EA_Preston came in and stated that this is incorrect. While Grapple Defense is used to deny submission attempts (and passes, and GGU), the actual submission stat is what gets checked for both fighters when in a submission battle. At first this really made me mad, because I felt it was extremely biased against striker classes (who will usually invest a few weeks at most in any sub skill), but later it started making more sense to me. There's already a lot of discontent about how hard it can be to get fights off the feet; if you succeed in bringing the battle to the ground and you're a pro submission fighter, it makes some sense that you'd have the advantage against a pro striker when their long punches and kicks are corralled by your holds. Short form, whoever plays their game better, wins.
But yeah, the guide is 100% wrong on that. :)|||............very strange. I've personally tested the grapple defense theory. I created three characters in an effort to test this. One had maxed out arm submissions and grapple defense. One had maxed out arm submissions and minimum grapple defense. The last one had minimum arm submissions and maxed out grapple defense. I fought as the character that was maxed out on both and fought the other two characters in succession on legendary. I used the arm catch to initiate an armbar in both fights and I could only finish the character with no grapple defense. The character with maxed out grapple defense and 33 arm subs broke out easily..........this to me says grapple defense is everything. Plus, have you tried tapping out King Mo online or any hard difficulty. He has 34 subs but is VERY difficult to submit. This is due to his 98 grapple defense (or somewhere close to those numbers).|||..........try it yourself|||I have realized that I am terrible at the stand up game and my main offense is ground and pound. I made a wrestler with almost maxed out chokes but still sucked at it getting people to submit online. I said screw it and went 100 on grapple defense because I also read that grapple defense helps with passing. I wouldn't have known that without the strat guide.
I always go through Career Mode in order to make my online fighters and have gone through like 15 careers now. The best part of the guide is the quick reference guides for the fighter classes and also the different gyms. That for me now is priceless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment